A family's heritage

Henry Strickland Jr. was born in 1853. He was a young lawyer and businessman of Duluth. He married Alice Harrell who was the daughter of a pioneer settler in Forsyth County. They raised seven children. Three girls and four boys (all of whom were college graduates).

The present home was completed in 1898 by Henry Strickland Jr. and his wife Alice Harrell Strickland.  Henry was a young lawyer and business man and Alice a traditional plantation lady.

In 1915, at age 55, Henry died, leaving Alice alone with two children still at home and World War I looming. Having no formal profession or college education, she could have simply withdrawn into a widow’s life, but Alice wasn’t the sort to simply stand aside.

Seeing the need for a health clinic and hospital in Duluth, she offered the entire second floor of her home for use as a prenatal clinic and children’s surgical facility. Then she took her concern for her community beyond medical needs. An ardent conservationist, she proved to be a woman of fierce determination and courage. With a shotgun in her hands, she blocked the way of power company workers, keeping them from placing lines across her land. Later, she donated a portion of her land to the community and helped organize the first conservation forest in Georgia.

She was president of the Civic Club, ran for and was elected Mayor of Duluth.  She was the first women to do so in the State of Georgia.  Quite an achievement for a widow at age 62, a year after women gained the right to vote.

Honored by the American Forestry Guild in 1923, when a Birch tree was planted, on Mothers Day, in her name.

Alice Strickland has been written about and honored many times since her death in 1947, as a global thinking person, with determination and imagination far beyond her years.

In 1999 her century old home was put on the Georgia Register of Historical Places and a marker dedicated in her honor.  In 2002 she received the Georgia Women of Achievement Award.

About the house

The house is located in the heart of the City at 2956 Buford Highway and near the historic downtown. It is quite visible and stands out along its 1097 feet of road frontage. The property has beautiful, mature trees and other vegetation and landscaping. The house has been restored beautifully, contains 11 bedrooms and 4½ bathrooms, has parking for 12, a gazebo, and an outbuilding for maintenance equipment.

pictures of the house

The most famous picture of the Strickland House is featured at the top of all our web pages.

Below is a sign that was erected in 1999 by Georgia Historical Society and the City of Duluth.

Inscription on the sign: Alice Harrell Strickland (1859-1947) and her husband Henry built this home in 1898. The Stricklands raised seven children before Henry’s death in 1917. Mrs. Strickland then became a community leader. With her service as Mayor of Duluth in 1922-23, she became Georgia’s First Woman Mayor. Additionally, she served as Civic Club president, opened her home as a children’s clinic since there was no hospital facility available, and led the community in forestry conservation with the donation of land for a community forest. Mrs. Strickland lived here until her death.

The following is a "walk-around" of the house.

 

 



 

 

 asp hit counter
hidden hit counter